Thursday, December 20, 2012

Quick post before Christmas

Only a little over four days until Christmas!!

I can't believe how fast this year has gone by. And I still have so many things to get done before Christmas!! I still have to wrap presents, bake two different kinds of cookies and a pie, and buy a few more presents. And I have worked every day this week, and have to work tonight, tomorrow, and all day Christmas Eve. 

So here is just a quick update about what I have been up to 

Finished Objects

I started and finished my first knit hat this week! I don't know how I have been knitting for over ten years and still had never knit a hat before. I guess it's because crocheting hats is so easy and quick that I never wanted to knit a hat. But after dying that lovely yarn last week, I wanted to make something out of it, and I did not think there would be enough to crochet a hat (since crocheting uses up more yarn than knitting does).




Here is the yarn after being wound into a ball



Here is the hat. I knit this on size US 4 needles and I used Julie Packard's Island Wools Swirl Hat pattern, mainly because the top of the hat looks like this:

I will mention again how essential the ninja turtles are to my creativity

 I love this pattern soooo much. It is really quick (I knit this in two days) and easy, and the hat looks awesome. All of the yarn-overs make it fit my giant head much better, as well.


Works in Progress

1) I started knitting the adorkable monster by Michele Lugo. I have been wanting to knit this pattern for a veeery long time, and when my mom sent me a link to the 600 Monsters Strong   project I knew I had to knit it. This group is trying to knit a monster for each of the students at Sandy Hook Elementary. Why monsters? Because there are a multitude of patterns easily available, they are quick and easy knits, they are unique and cute, and they will (hopefully) brighten a child's day. 

I am knitting my monster on size US 7 needles with Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn in the color Peacock. The organizers of the 600 Monsters project are recommending that people knit/crochet with acrylic or cotton yarn so that the softies will be machine washable and not bother anyone with wool allergies. 







I am knitting "afterthought" arms, meaning that I have knit 12 stitches on each side in a different yarn so that later I can pull the yarn out, pick up 24 stitches, and knit the arms. This way I will not have to do much seaming, and I can stuff the whole monster at once. I will be knitting the horns according to the pattern, however. 

2) I started spinning this "Pre-yarn" that I purchased from linyarns on Etsy.  It is actually pencil roving, which is wool roving that has been drafted very very thin. It is so thin that I do not have to do anything other than spin it, making it super fast and easy to spin.


 
I am already about a quarter of the way done. The wool is a little scratchy, but I am hoping that after I ply it and soak it in wool-wash it will soften up. If not, I think I will use it to knit some felted slippers or maybe a stuffed animal. 


That's all from me for now. I hope that everyone who celebrates Christmas has a wonderful day with family and friends. And if I don't get a chance to post, Happy New Year, as well.

-Nicole


No comments:

Post a Comment