Thursday, February 7, 2013

Invasion of the stripes!

I'm back! 

I'm sorry that I haven't posted in such a long time. I have been working like crazy lately, and when I am home I have just wanted to relax and read or knit.

I have been reading a lot lately, which has cut into my knitting time a little, but that's ok with me. I finished reading Contact by Carl Sagan earlier this week, and then I read all 500+ pages of Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312 in two days, because I am crazy. I really loved Contact, and 2312 was all right, but not one of my favorites.
I started reading How to Be a Woman by Cailin Moran yesterday, and I am about a quarter of the way through it and loving it. That woman is HILARIOUS!

Work has been crazy stressful ever since we had a server quit, but it's been getting better now that we are training a couple more. These last few weeks have assured me that I NEVER want to make serving tables a lifetime occupation.

As far as my video blog goes, I am still undecided on whether I want to continue. I liked making the video, but the uploading, editing, and hosting issues were a nightmare. I will let you know what I decide to do.

But anyway, let's get onto the knitting! I have been up to a lot since my video

Finished Objects:

Only one finished project right now, but it is wonderful

























This is my Squidoo, made for my lovely nephew. I used Stacey Trock of Fresh Stitches' Otto the Monster pattern and Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn in Peacock. I crocheted this with a size 4.5 mm crochet hook. It was very easy and fun, and I think that the method that Stacey uses, of crocheting in the back loop only, and assembling the monster BEFORE stuffing it, makes the process quicker and easier. I love this pattern, and I will definitely be making some more of Stacey's animals some time soon (perhaps her adorable new Flavia the Unicorn pattern?)

Works in Progress:

I have a TON of things on the needles right now, and for some damn reason they are all striped projects. I HATE knitting stripes. I have a mental condition, obviously.

1) The project I am the closest to finishing right now is my Palette Affection shawl. 



















I love this shawl!! I am using Veera Välimäki's Color Affection shawl pattern with Knit Picks Palette yarn in Whirlpool (2 balls), Turmeric (1 ball) and Clemantis Heather (1 ball). This is not the softest yarn, but I really like the way it feels and knits, and the colors are GORGEOUS! I am using size 6, 4.0 mm, needles. I am almost done with the third section of color repeats, and I will definitely be happy to be done with juggling 3 balls of yarn at once. Again, I am really not a fan of knitting stripes, and here I am knitting a 90 inch by 22 inch stripes shawl. I'M CRAZY!

2) I am halfway (ish) done with the foot of my first boyfriend sock



















I am using Knit Picks Felici Sport in Stream Bed on size 2, 2.75 mm, needles. I am using Wendy D. Johnson's Sport Weight sock pattern as my basic formula, but I added a broken rib pattern (K1, P1 across half of one row, k across one row)on  the front of the sock, which will continue up the leg. I love this yarn, but I hate these colors. I have been knitting in short bursts of "UGH I HATE BROWN" until I get to the blue or grey sections, and then I drop the sock in disgust when I get back to the brown. These will get finished eventually. My boyfriend has Fred Flinstone feet, so these are going to be huge. 


These next two projects have not gotten a lot of love, but I have basically just started them so that I don't have to cast them on when I want to start working on them. I hate casting on. 

3) I am loving my Striped Shawl for Sad People, even though it is a tiny little thing right now


I am using Sylvia Bo Bilvia's (which I am suuuuure is her real name) Sunlight Shawl for Sad People pattern. This is a pretty basic shawl pattern, so I am mainly using it for the pretty edging and garter rows. I am using size 4, 3.5 mm, needles  and elann.com Peruvian Baby Silk in Aubergine and Parchment. This yarn is WONDERFUL! It is extremely soft and silky, so I am very excited to wear this once it's done. I plan on just using up all four balls, so hopefully it will be decently sized

4) Finally, I am making a hat that will (hopefully) fit Brandon. I am calling it Boyfriend Hat 2.0


Since the hat I made him for Christmas ended up so big (although I did wash it and dry it on hot and it shrunk up quite a bit!) I am trying to make him a hat that he will actually wear.
I am using Jared Flood's Turn a Square pattern with I Love This Yarn in dark olive and light gray. UGH SO MUCH STRIPING!

5) I have also been working on spinning up that BFL wool that I dyed with Koolaid.
Since this was the first roving I have ever dyed, it got a little bit felted, but if I spend a little bit of time drafting it it is fine. 

Stash Enhancement 

Please don't judge me. 

Valley Yarns Charlemont in Dusk

Ice Yarns Silk in Blue (?)


Yarn Place Basic Fingering in Eggplant (5 skeins)

Sensations Little Treat in Green Yellow

Sensations Truly Pattern in Black and Purple

Deborah Norville Serenity Garden in Gem

Sassy Sheep Decadence yarn in Vineyard

Sassy Sheep Merino Sock yarn in Pumpkin Spice

I would say that I am ashamed, but I am not. The two yarns from The Sassy Sheep I got in her Mystery Grab Bag sale on Etsy, and I am thrilled with how gorgeous and soft they are. The colors are much more beautiful in real life. The Ice yarn and the Yarn Place yarn I got from destashes on Ebay, and the Charlemont yarn I got from Webs on sale. The yarns from Joann's I have no excuse for. I went in to buy safety eyes for stuffed animals and I left with 16 dollars worth of yarn. It was all on sale! How am I supposed to resist!?

I am planning on making a baby sweater with the Little Treat yarn, and I have some lovely shawls and socks in the works with some of the others. 


That's all from me for this week. I have some delicious turkey meatloaf in the oven that my wonderful boyfriend made and I want to eat it RIGHT NOW!

-Nicole



1 comment:

  1. What beautiful colors! Can't wait to see what you make from them!

    ReplyDelete