Happy belated New Year!
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I got hit with the flu, and I don't think I've been that sick in a very long time. But I'm finally feeling better, and I have a lot of knitting to share with you.
Unfortunately I did not have an amazing New Year- I was sick and Brandon worked late, so we didn't get to do much. But we had a nice glass of wine and watched a show on Netflix and just relaxed, which was fine for me.
I got a ton of knitting done while I was sick, so I'll share that with you, and then I'll get to the Resolutions.
Works in Progress
I have a few WIPs this week, which is unusual for me, since I usually only work on one or two things at a time
1) My sweater grew a couple more inches this week, now that I finally got my replacement needles.
I just have about an inch more waist shaping to go, then an inch for the waist, and I will start increasing for the hips. This is my Nutmeg sweater, which I am knitting with Laines du Nord Prancer in color 77. So far it fits me perfectly, but I won't know for sure until I get all the waist shaping done.
2) I am about halfway done with my spiral cowl
I am knitting this on US size 6, 4 mm, needles with Yarns of Italy Innamorata DK in bright blue. I really like this yarn a lot- it's very soft and smooth, and it has a tight S twist, so the stitches look great. I am using Amanda Berka's Later Gator pattern, which is almost the same as the pattern I used for my hat.
3) I am 3/4 of the way done with my second Groovy sock.
I am knitting these with Knit Picks Felici Sport in the Groovy color, on size 2 (2.75 mm) needles. I am doing a semi-random ribbing pattern on the cuff- adding increasing numbers of purl stitches every few rounds until I have a knit 2, purl 1, knit 2, purl 2 pattern.
1) Before Christmas my friend Emma's sister sent me some of her scraps of Noro Kureyon. I tied them all together, and decided to knit a couple hats.
I knit both of these on size 10.5 needles (6.5 mm), with 60 stitches around. For the first hat I just bound off, threaded yarn through the ribbing at the top and cinched it tight. I gave this hat to my mom, since it's a little too small for me.
The second hat I actually decreased at the top before I cinched it closed, and it fits my giant head perfectly. It's really warm and snuggly.
2) I finished my first Groovy sock this week, too!
I love these socks! They fit me perfectly and they are super warm. I used Jeny's surprisingly stretchy bind-off, so they fit my fat calves too.
3) I dyed some more fiber. I dyed some Corriedale wool with grape Kool-Aid and blue food coloring.
I bought myself some Christmas goodies
I got seven more skeins of Knit Outta the Box's Machine Washable Lamb's Wool in Purple.
I also bought some deliciously soft merino, silk, bamboo fiber from Winderwood Farm on Etsy
New Year's Resolutions
1) I want to do more selfish knitting this year. I have always done a lot of knitting for other people, and this year I want to make more things for myself.
2) I want to try more knitting and crafting techniques. I want to do lace knitting with actual lace weight yarn, and start doing more cable knitting. I want to learn how to needle felt, and practice sewing more. I also want to practice my spinning more, and maybe (if I can save up enough money) buy an inexpensive spinning wheel by the end of the year.
3) I want to use more stash yarn and try to only buy yarn when I have a plan for it.
4) I want to start my video blog soon! I want to make my first video soon, but I am nervous that I will have nothing to say, or that it will be boring and no one will watch it. Eek.
5) I want to start reading more. I used to read a book or two a week, and now I barely read at all. I want to change that.
6) I want to save up money for school.
That's it! Hopefully I will be able to achieve my goals this year, since they are more of guidelines than strict plans.
I hope you all had a great New Year.